Sunday, May 13, 2012

How I Met Your Father VI

I go through my first week of school ok. If you have been reading my blog from the start you might remember my dunk tank post. If not, go read it. Seriously. Its the next chapter of the story. It has details I don't even remember now, a year and a half after I wrote it.

Although, I do need to add a few extra facts....

But read dunk tank first, because otherwise this won't make sense.

I went to see Hairspray with my family and Chris and his friend Webb. I, naturally, sat between Chris and Webb. I'm still not too sure how that happened. Somehow in the first part of the movie both boys grabbed my hands. So I sat watching this movie (which I had already seen 2 or 3 times before this. It coincidentally was the movie my mom took me to to distract me when I broke up with the boyfriend after I decided to move) holding hands with TWO boys that aren't my boyfriend, thinking about breaking up with the boyfriend. And then, out of nowhere, Chris kissed my hand!!!! To this day, he says that Webb was supposed to do it too and it was a big joke. But, I highly doubt that. With that I wigged out, stole my hands back, and finished the movie curled up in a ball. It was awkward.

After the movie, Chris mentioned that a family in the crowd  was his family. This struck me as strange, because he chose to sit by me and my family instead of his.

Later that night Chris and Webb picked me up to go to the lake with Kody, one of his roommates. I borrowed my cousins swimsuit and off we went. We got there and Chris and Kody decide to just go skinny dipping. Yea, they went there. Webb and I were content in proper swimming attire. I don't think I have ever been more grateful for Webb in my life. I went in the water first and waited, backwards, for the others. Once in the water I just tried not to think about the whole those two are naked thing.  Once I got over that I had a great time just goofing off, being teenagers. I felt free, for the first time.

The next day we go home. And, as you know, broke it off for good with the boyfriend. It wasn't until this day that I realized how many mind games he had been using with me. He must have known it was coming, as he was fully prepared to use everything in his power to stop it from happening, including showing me a gun he said he planned to use once I left because his doctor told him Friday he had cancer and without me he had no reason to live. Ummmm..., Yeah. It was a long night. But somehow I was able to stand my ground. (*note, he is fully alive today. As far as I know anyways. And he didn't have cancer.*)

I got back to Orem the next night. First thing I did was go up to Chris' apartment. His roommates were both working, so it was just us. We sat there in the living room with something on the TV. I was on one couch and he was on the other. I told him that I broke up with the boyfriend, which led us into an almost too natural "what does that make us" conversation. We both concluded that we didn't just want this to be a rebound kind of thing and to just let things go how they go and to not rush into anything. Somehow in this conversation, we ended up on the same couch. We talked and talked that night. It was almost too obvious that waiting wasn't going to work. Back then I did this little hand wave thing with the saying "that's how I roll." I said that and he asked for me to show him my hand thing again. Then he very obviously mimicked it very poorly. So I had to show him again. Once again, he couldn't grasp it so he asked for me to help him. And this is how me held hands for the first time, since the movie doesn't count. We spent the rest of the night holding hands until he walked me upstairs to my place.

Monday I went to class wondering what the heck just happened. Was it going to be awkward from now on? Did I mess things up by going too fast? Was I utterly crazy for falling for this boy? Ex boyfriend called and told me that he got off the phone with his doctor and somehow his cancer was worse than he thought and he didn't know what to do and blah blah blah. How could I leave him when he needed someone during this hard time? But now things were far too complicated. Chris picked me up from school because I just rode the bus. I think that was the first time I cried in front of him. He held me and told me I could do whatever I needed to do. But, I told him that that was final. I wasn't going to get back together with him. We ended that conversation by holding hands going into Walmart. He was there when I needed someone. And that's how it always has been ever since.


Our first kiss came 2 days later.... so much for taking things slow, eh? That next weekend he went camping with his family and didn't have phone service, so at night he drove down to where we could talk. It was our Saturday night conversation that we both said I love you. And yes, if you were doing the math, that was only 6 days after I broke up with the ex. And with that we became interpretable. The only time we were apart when we were awake was either school or work. And sometimes not even then. Chris developed this new obsession with going to the mall when I was working and would just walk past a billion times until I got my lunch. That was also the only weekend we were apart that whole year. After that if I was visiting my family, he went with me. And if he was visiting his, I went with him.

That September I went to New Mexico with his family and met his grandparents, aunt, and uncle. By November we were talking about marriage. January he talked to my dad. February 13th he proposed. August 8th, roughly a year and 2 weeks after we met, we said I do. On our 6 month anniversary we found out I was pregnant. And now baby number 2 is due a week before our 5 year mark of knowing each other. It is hard to believe we have been together for almost 5 years. We obviously didn't take things slowly like we said. But you know what, I'm ok with that. We were destined to be together, to be in love. He is my best friend. They say that young marriages don't work because you haven't grown as a person. Well, for us, I couldn't think of anything better. We get to grow up together. We have had our ups and downs, like every married couple. But our ups by far out number our downs. I am so blessed to be his wife, and honored that he decided to take a chance on the crazy city girl with a boyfriend.

1 comment:

  1. this is a cute story. i tell people *all* the time how lucky i feel that john and i get to grow up together and have that many more memories with each other :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Completely A-Z! I love that you want to share your thoughts with me.