Thursday, June 30, 2011

emetophobia?!?

I have exciting news.

Maybe not for you so much. But for me.

If you remember my post not too long ago about Chris waking up with a bad taste in his mouth, you will recall that on several occasions I have mentioned my fear of throw up.

Well, ladys and gents, it turns out that that is a very legit phobia called emetophobia. And apparently it is one of the most common fears behind public speaking, spiders, and the dentist. Just most people don't mention it to others. It is so nice to realize that I'm not the only one that the slightest thought that someone may throw up puts me in a panic.

It is characterized by a general panic and anxiety of throwing up youself, or witnessing others do so. Many people avoid situations where throwing up is possible. (Like refusing to go on this one ride at the local amusement park because someone could throw up while I am on it).

They stay away from loved ones if they mearly mention the stomach bug. (ever read Voted Off? that is me to a T, unfortunately.)

Many people haven't thrown up themselves in a long time. I was 8, so its been 15 years. That constitutes a long time to me.

After reading a few things I have come to realize just how much this has influenced my life. My only reason behind not wanting to go into nursing is dealing with throw up. I went through 13 hours of drug free labor because a friend of mine said the epidural made her sick. I run away from my sick husband. I don't like being in crowded places because I won't know if someone will spew all over my on accident. I even go to the second stall in the bathroom because tiny elementary me decided that people in a hurry to throw up go to the first one. I'm pretty sure I could come up with a few more situations if I thought hard enough.

I also read that it might have something to do with feeling out of control at some point, and that emotional state has menifested into a psychological one. This reason actually makes a ton of sense. When I actually started acknowledging the fact that I hated throw up is around the same time I felt as if my world was turned upside down, put in a blender, and sucked throu a twirly straw. I hope that this understanding of my condition will help me overcome it.

I feel silly telling Chris I want to go to a therapist about something a silly as barf-ola, so that won't happen any day soon. But, maybe one day I will be able to accept that this is a part of me, but doesn't have to rule my life. Until that day, I got this nifty little blog and I'll spill my stomach contents for all of blogland to read and ponder.

2 comments:

  1. This might sound nasty, gross, and horrible, but I actually enjoy throwing up. It makes me feel so much better, and awesome! Weird, i know. But if you can share your fear of barf, i will share my love of barfing... im not bulimic, but if it wasn't a big no-no. i would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is seriously the most disterbing thing in the world. But, I think I would rather like it than run away from it like I do. :/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Completely A-Z! I love that you want to share your thoughts with me.