Friday, December 10, 2010

Dunk Tank

Can you remember a moment that changed your life?

It was my first weekend "on my own." I moved out of town to get a dance degree, but in reality it was so I could be friends with this boy  I met without getting in trouble with my boyfriend. He would say I was cheating if I talked to this boy while living at home, even if I wasn't. So in my head, if this boy was the only person I knew my boyfriend couldn't get mad for me talking to him. Strange  logic. I think in the back of my mind I knew I was being led somewhere else, and I just didn't know where.

Instead of going home for the weekend, I decided to hitch a ride with this boy to my aunt's house who lived 20 minutes away from where he grew up. Also strange logic to ride an hour with someone I hardly knew, but I was 19 and crazy. Don't judge.

That Saturday my cousin's drill team was in charge of a dunk tank at a big carnival party thing. It turned out that this boy's parents were in charge of the grill, and so he just so happened to be there. He and his friend kept trying to convince me to get dunked. Eventually I got up there. The line was full of children, and each one missed. And then someone hit the bulls eye. The last thing I remember before falling into the water was this boys smiling face in victory.

The party ended. I went my car parked on the side of the road to get my phone and call my boyfriend. I was planning on leaving that night so I could have time to go home home Sunday because I didn't have class on Monday. I sat in the backseat with the door open and my legs dangling out, kicking the curb. He was mad that I was still there. We were in another "one of those" fights: I didn't understand him, I was being stupid. The usual. As I was almost ready to cave and say I needed to get back I saw the boy go up to my uncle and help them take down the dunk tank. Now this is no easy task. He knew just what to do and didn't have to be asked. I remember thinking that if this was my boyfriend, he would have waited until someone sought him out, and then do the bare minimum to make himself look busy. But not this boy. He as so occupied in the task at hand that I hardly saw him. As I sat there watching him while arguing on my phone I realized I was in love. And it wasn't with the boyfriend I was on the phone with. I don't know what it was, but the juxtaposition of hearing how horrible I am for doing nothing wrong, and watching this boy help my family for no reason behind it is something I will always remember.
This was the moment that changed my life. It was a scary feeling. So vulnerable. And no one knew it but me.It empowered me to finally stand up for what I want. I didn't go home that day. My family, the boy, and the boys friend all went to see Hairspray. I laughed through the entire thing. Not because it was funny, which it is by the way, but because I was so nervous of what just happened. I didn't trust myself to do what I needed to do.
We left Sunday and I went straight to my house once I got to my car. I drove right to my boyfriend's house and broke up with him. I can't remember what I said. I just remember knowing that this was final. It was over. Two and  half years gone. And not even a glance back. I didn't know if this boy was "the one," or even if we would become good friends for that matter. But I had to give it a shot.

And now, 3 years later I get the opportunity to watch him play with our daughter. I get to cuddle up next to him when it gets cold at night. And most importantly get to say that he was the best thing that ever happened to me because he has brought me so much happiness. And it all goes back to a dunk tank.




Linking this up with my thoughts and treasures because being able to blog with a snoring husband next to me is a treasure.


13 comments:

  1. Oh that story was so sweet...I love reading your family. I would say reading about your family, but you put a lot of emotion into what you write, even if it's done quietly, so it's like getting a little glimpse of the real thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love gets you when you least expect it. I remember when it hit me, totally not what I expected to happen but so so awesome.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this. You should add the Red Writing Hood button so people know you are participating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny sometimes what brings us together with people we love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing. I too, am occasionaly amazed with the way love worms its way into our lives at the most unexpected of times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so sweet. What a wonderful memory. I love those interesting "how we got together" tales.

    Visiting from Red Writing Hood

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I love most about this post is the private nature of the epiphany. That's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post! I also love how you knew it, privately, in your own heart first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It took courage to do what you did-break up with your boyfriend--(not to mention actually sitting in the dunk tank!) I'm glad you had such a wonderfully happy ending:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that made me tear up. What a wonderful love story!! Aren't you glad you followed your heart?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww thank you everyone for your lovely comments. It really warms my heart to see people appreciate this story. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this story so much! Oh, it's so cute! Thank you for sharing it :-) It makes me feel happy!

    Thank you so much for linking up to Small Treasure Tuesdays last week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a cute story! i totally understand the whole not knowing what to do thing with two boys, i'll have to tell you my story sometime... but you are a great writer :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Completely A-Z! I love that you want to share your thoughts with me.