Monday, February 21, 2011

Public Bathrooms

Lets pretend that this is day 23 of some blog challenge that I have been doing. Because I don't want to admit that I'm willingly posting my thoughts about public bathrooms for the world. But, anywho. Here it goes.


Day 23: What are your thoughts on Public Restrooms?

I remember my first day of 1st grade. My teacher showed the class where the big kid bathrooms were. And the were separated into girls and boys bathrooms. Until this point, the entire class shared a single bathroom that was attached to the classroom. This was the first time I realized there was a difference between girls and boys. I didn't understand it, but I just went with it.

I also remember the first time I had to USE the big kid bathrooms. I tried to hold it in all day. I remember this working for a while, but not forever. This was a traumatizing moment in my life. Not only did I have to walk the halls of the school alone, but I also had to figure out how to use the darn toilet. Apparently my mom always flushed for me, because I had no idea that the silver thing around foot height was the flusher. I was probably in there for a good 10 minutes crying because I didn't know what to do. Sad sad day.

It was in this bathroom that I developed a strange habit. Never go in the first stall. Why? Because if you are in a hurry to throw up, you would run into the first one. Apparently, I have been scared of throw up for a long time now.

When I was pregnant I had a hard time switching up my skip the first stall mato. But when you really gotta go for the 50th time in an hour you do not skip over a decently clean stall, because who knows what lies behind door number 2, 3, or 4.  Now that I am very not pregnant, I have returned to my skip the first rule. I think its more of a comfort thing than fear of using the barf toilet. But, perhaps that still lies within me still.

Another "pregnant potty" habit I picked up (and kept) is to not use the initial 2 squares of the tp that is dangling out of the dispenser. In my pregnant head, I didn't want ANYTHING getting ANYWHERE close to my baby. And since who knows who ripped the last piece of toilet paper off, I was not going to get even a micronano droplet of someone's germs on me. So, I ripped it off. Depending on the condition the bathroom was in when I got there decided if I just ripped and dropped (if it was already really messy with toilet paper on the floor), or ripped and flushed (clean floors). Either way,  the part of the toilet paper that I used was only touched by me. That made me feel somewhat in control of what was going on with Zoey.


And so there you have it, my strange thoughts on the public restrooms. Which, apparently is not my first time talking about bathrooms. Which, now that I think about it is kind of an odd thing to talk about. But that is what Day 23 said to do. So I guess it was all fair game.

4 comments:

  1. I never used the first stall at St. Paul either! I still avoid the first one if I can! I'm ridiculously excited that I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My reason for skipping it is actually because so many people walk by the first one (going in and out) and I want my privacy. No people peeking through the crack, whether on purpose or by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read once somewhere that the first stall is the cleanest since everyone skips over it. That has stuck with me forever, so since everyone skips the first stall I feel better in it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Completely A-Z! I love that you want to share your thoughts with me.