Wednesday, July 28, 2010

take your daughter to work day...?

I give my schedule to my parents as soon as I get it so they can work around having Zoey. I was scheduled to work at 3 and my husband was to pick baby girl up when he got home around 5. Monday, my dad asked if I can go to work at 4 instead of 3 so he can make an appointment with someone 50 minutes away. Luckily, my friend was supposed to get off at 3 so she just stayed the extra hour for me.

The day starts off normal enough. Zo is teething, and has had a crazy runny nose the last day. We fight over the bugger sucker, I win. She gives me a big poopy diaper. She wins. One of those days. Hubby calls around 1:30 seeing if I can get it off today because he isn't feeling good. Its one of our busiest times of the year, so I don't want to just call in and leave them hanging. I see if anyone can trade, and there is no one. So we figure out that my parents will just watch her longer.

Around 2 my mom calls and says that my dad still hasn't gone in yet, and she'll pick up Zo if he is late since she gets off between 3:30-4. (You need to know she generally works like 10 minutes from my work). So I get ready for work, get Zo dressed, pack a few toys and leave early. I wanted to get a bite to eat before I went in. My dad calls around 3:40 saying he is just barely leaving. I figure that is probably better anyways, since he generally picks her up with just enough time for me to be chronically 2 minutes late to where ever I am going. I call my mom and she is off. Perfect, I think. She will be there when I am to make the trade. Nope, she happened to work in the other site 40 minutes away. So here I am 10 minutes until I have to be at work with a snotty baby, waiting in line at Burger King next door. By this time, I'm figuring life did not want me to work for some reason.

So what do I do? Just haul her with me. I've done it before, but generally someone is just getting off and watches her for the few minutes it takes someone to get her. Today, there is no one to watch her since I'm coming in at such a strange time. So I just put her in a shopping cart, and go to work. Naturally, the district managers were there for a visit. So I kind of just chill in the back, hopping they don't walk by. I had to do freight and put new items on the shelf, so I just chucked all the stuff in the cart, pushing it along to all the places, and gave Zo the empty boxes. I had enough boxes ready so if the big bosses came by I could try to hide her. I'm glad I didn't have to though. It did get kinda awkward when customers came over asking for help, and I'd have to explain why I was pushing a baby everywhere I go.

My mom eventually came and got her, and the work day went on as normal. The only thing was, they double booked my department so there was an extra person there. I so could have called in, and it would have been just fine. Ah well, that is life.

1 comment:

  1. Haha I could just imagine zo playing in the boxes having a blast. Plus zoey is our staples mascot :)

    PS. Sorry I was busy when you asked who didn't work. I just looked at the blank boxes who was not working. So I missed that memo of double booking till she came in and surprised me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Completely A-Z! I love that you want to share your thoughts with me.